Thursday, July 31, 2008

It's not them, it's me!

I just had a flash of insight. I don't know what it will mean in the long run, and I don't know how I feel about it yet.

It's not them, it's me.

When I sit at the end computer, the handicapped one that sits at a lower level than the other, standing height computers, people never come to me. They will stand in front of an unoccupied computer for over five minutes if I let them. I have to call them over, sometimes repeating myself a couple times before they even turn to look at me. Then they peer at me myopically as though I'm difficult to look at and ask, "Are- are you open? Can I check out books from you?"

And generally I try to be understanding of this. I can understand the fear of looking stupid and going to the wrong desk. I can sympathize. So it doesn't bother me that much, though it is a little annoying.

But today I was standing at the regular desks, with one of my co-workers at the lower desk, and a patron came up, looked at us, and went for her!

Aaaagggghhhh!

So, it is with great sorrow that I must come to the conclusion that it has never been the patrons who are annoying or insane. It has always been me.

I apologize for any inconvenience.

No comments:

Post a Comment