Thursday, September 9, 2010

Blast from the Past

This post was originally written on June 4, 2009. It never got published, for reasons I can't remember at the moment, but I stumbled across it recently and thought you might enjoy it.


Since I work at an academic library, I get exposed to a particular slice of the human pie that is often absent from that of public libraries: professors.

I may have mentioned them before, but ever since I moved to my current job working as a secretary, my interactions with faculty have moved from hilarious phone calls and books to renew a thousand times, to (often hilarious) angry emails. Certain professors have something of a reputation around here, as I soon learned. Privacy rules being what they are I can't reproduce full texts here, but I can offer the jist of a recent email from a guy on our Most Wanted List:


Dear Secretaries,

Since I am god and you have Made A Mistake, I will simply tell you to fix it without even asking if maybe the mistake is on my end. I will attempt to demonstrate that I know how to do your job better than you do, while actually displaying a shocking ignorance of basic library usage. I will even be helpful and provide a link to my online account, which, since you need my user name and password to access it, will do you no good.

I expect to be notified the minute all my fines are removed forever and I will be watching for your apology cake in the mail.

Sincerely,
Professor Pompous, PhD., OmG., WtF., BbQ.


Luckily, I was able to pass the buck. I talked to the lady I forwarded this to, just to make sure I was supposed to send it to her and not someone else. When I mentioned his name, this look of long-suffering and distaste came over her face and she said, "Oh. Him."

That, I think, says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment