Friday, August 8, 2008

Fun, fun, fun till the library takes his two books away

My co-worker just had an otherworldly experience. I share it with her permission.

Faculty member calls up, wants to renew his books. They have reached the online renewal limit, meaning that he has to bring them in. We do this so we know if they've kidnapped the book or not. He is a little annoyed at having to bring his books back. (I don't know why- faculty gets to renew books four times at 6 months each renewal- that's two years without bringing the book in!) He asks my co-worker if she can override it. To me, this is a breach in courtesy rivaled only by farting in public. You do not ask me if I can override something for you. I decide when and if I override things, and you should be on your knees, grateful that I did! Sheesh . . .

Co-worker tells faculty he has to bring the books in. Faculty says, "Well, I can come to the library this time, but I don't want this to happen again."

Excuse me? You don't want your books to expire again? You want to have them forever without need to renew or check them out? Allow me to direct you to a bookstore, sir. That's the big building with lots of books that you can actually buy. You get to keep them. Forever. This is the big building with lots of books that you can only rent. You don't get to keep them. There is a significant difference.

Epilogue

Faculty comes in to renew his books (surprisingly; some would just let FDS handle it, or refuse to come out of their office like a sulky child) and announces that he's had them for two years, and uses them a lot. I think he intends for this to be proof of why he should not have to renew them again. I only take it as a sign that he has confused us with the Bookstore. A common mistake.

I wonder what he would do if someone recalled the books . . . ? Hmmm . . .

1 comment:

  1. Oh, goodness, I don't even want to think about recalling books from him. Yes. Professors need to learn about the bookstore. And they need to learn about sharing.

    ReplyDelete