Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Do you ever...

Do you ever meet people that you instantly dislike, for no discernible reason? I'm not talking burning hatred, just a vague unease at being around them. I know a person like that. I know several, actually, to my chagrin. I like to think I'm mature enough to at least recognize that the fault lies mostly with me. If I were really mature, I'd realize that the fault lies entirely with me, but, hey, one step at a time, right? This one's "defect" is: cheerfulness. That's right. The amount she gets on my nerves is directly proportionate to how moody I feel. The more down in the dumps I am, the more her cheerfulness annoys me. I am afraid of what might happen if I were ever to see her on one of those days better spent in bed, because I might just have to strangle her with my bare hands. I can't even feel vindicated because there's absolutely nothing about her to dislike. Nothing. Isn't that a little suspicious? Nothing out of place, nothing really bad happening to her. Except now that I think about it, some aspects of her life are far from perfect. But you know what? She doesn't let them get her down, that's what!! What right does anyone have to be that amazing? Why can't I be that cheerful all the time? Why can't I work up that superhero motivation and have the powers to back it up? Okay, I guess it's time for confession: I'm a little jealous. Probably more than a little, based on the above rant. In all seriousness, there are two kinds of overly cheerful people: the kind that make you feel cheerful just by being around them, and the kind that just make you feel vaguely guilty for not being a better person, but don't give you any of the energy or motivation to change that fact. I am of the sound opinion that people in the second category (to which the above person belongs) are actually motivation suckers. Like vampires, they steal the life force from those around them, but instead of blood, they suck the very will to live right out of you, and all you notice is a growing sense of depression and a smoldering resentment towards said vampire that seems to have no basis in fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment