Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chibi Vampire

In my last post, I mentioned that I couldn't think of a manga that didn't have a Japanese main character. But then I read the next volume of Chibi Vampire, and realized that the main character, Karin, is a full-blooded European! Of course, she's also a full-blooded vampire. So non-human appears to be all right.

This is one of those instance where I fully recommend the manga but not the anime. For one thing, the opening sequence of the anime is, shall we say... a bit racy. Then, after 6 or 7 episodes of following the manga pretty faithfully, they introduce a totally new character (who has a really annoying voice in the English dub) and go off in a totally new direction, which I'm still not sure I like, though it is pretty funny. (The new character is a vampire hunter who can't stand the sight of blood, and who has proclaimed his undying love and protection against the undead to Karin, who is embarrassed by this in oh so many ways.) All in all, not a bad anime, but the manga is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment