Monday, July 21, 2008

Pet Peeve

Come here, my pretty. Yes, you have such soft, silky fur. You're a pretty little thing, aren't you? I would never give you up, my pet, even though I secretly loathe you. You come up to the desk and you lean over so far I can smell your halitosis, and then you put your elbows on the desk and hunker down like you're planning on changing residence. I know, my pet, that you probably have no idea what damage you're causing, but really, pretty, why is it so hard to read my body language? Why is it that you read my stiffened posture, my quick step back and my consternated expression as an invitation to lean forward even farther? I promise my wrinkled nose doesn't mean I like being able to tell what you had for breakfast this morning. Please, precious, I'll never give you up, but if you ran away, well, that would really make my day.

2 comments:

  1. I'm curious as to what this post is in reference to. Please explain.

    This is Kristen, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was prompted by a guy who came up to the desk, and without any preamble, settled down with his elbows on the desk, hunkered down and leaned forward so far he was in my personal space. That annoys me. A lot. It is, you could say, one of my pet peeves. But just saying that isn't so interesting. So I took the phrase "pet peeve" and took it literally.
    Actually, this idea isn't so new. Tanith Lee wrote a few books that I really like (The Black Unicorn being the first), and the main character's familiar (or pet) is a "peeve." The idea tickled me, really.

    ReplyDelete