Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Pet Peeve, Again

Since that last pet peeve post turned out so darn creepy, I'm trying a different format this time: simple ranting.

You know what's really starting to annoy me? People asking me to participate in surveys. Admittedly, this isn't something I've encountered much except in the last two weeks or so. I can guess where they're coming from- there are plenty of statistics classes around campus, and it's starting to be crunch time for everyone. And it never used to bother me. I would just politely inform them that, as an employee of the library, I am not allowed to answer survey questions or take part in questionnaires, or be interviewed. And that would be that. But this last time, I realized that they seem to be targeting me. They're deliberately taking advantage of my immobility (I'm truly a captive audience). And now that I'm thinking about it, what makes them think I am a suitable candidate for this anyway? I am working here, people! I do not get paid to help you with your homework.

Well, okay, I do get paid to help you with your homework. But not like that! I have books to check out, directions to give, library help to provide. I absolutely do not have time to sit here and answer questions about my self-image or my ethnicity or junk like that. Nope. Plenty busy sitting here, typing on my blog... talking to my co-workers.... Yup. Very busy. Too busy for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment